Books: in no particular order
Knowles, M. S., Holton III, E. F., & Swanson, R. A. (2014). The Adult Learner: The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development. Routledge.
Bowden, J., & Marton, F. (2004). The University of Learning. Psychology Press. [sample here]
Hendry, R. (2010). Building and Restoring Respectful Relationships in Schools: A guide to using restorative practice. Routledge, [sample here]
Taleb, N. N. (2007). The Black Swan: The impact of the highly improbable. Random House.
Senge, P. M. (1990). The Fifth Discipline. The Art & Practice of Learning Organization. Doupleday Currence, New York. [sample here]
McCormack, B., Manley, K, & Garbett, R. (2008). Practice Development in Nursing. [sample here]
Price, D. (2013). OPEN: How we’ll work, live and learning the future. Crux Publishing Ltd. [sample here]
Biggs, J., & Tang, C. (2011). Teaching For Quality Learning At University (4th ed.). Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill Education. [sample here]
Wenger, E. (1998). Communities of Practice: Learning, meaning, and identity. Cambridge university press. [sample here]
Drucker, P. (2007) The Practice of Management. revised edn, Butterworth-Heinemann. [Goodreads blurb]
Quinn, F. M. (2000). The Principles and Practice of Nurse Education. Nelson Thornes.
Crawford, M. B. (2009). Shop Class as Soulcraft: An inquiry into the value of work. Penguin. [sample here]
Oakley, B. (2014) A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel in Math and Science (Even if You Flunked Algebra). Penguin. [Goodreads blurb]
von Glasersfeld, E. (2013). Radical Constructivism. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis.
Mesko, B. (2014). The Guide to the Future of Medicine: Technology and the human touch. Webicina kft. [link to free chapter]
Rungapadiachy, D. M. (1999) Interpersonal communication and psychology for health care professionals. Theory and practice. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.
De Botton, A. (2010). The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work. Emblem Editions. [Goodreads blurb]
Killen, R. (2006). Effective teaching strategies: Lessons from research and practice. Cengage Learning Australia.
Foucault, M. (1998). The History of Sexuality: The Will to Knowledge. London, Penguin. [Goodreads blurb]
Illich, I. (1971). Deschooling Society. New York, 56.
Bastable, S. (2014). Nurse as educator: Principles of teaching and learning for nursing practice (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning. [link to 2nd edition]
Freire, P. (2000). Pedagogy of the oppressed. Bloomsbury Publishing.
Goleman, D. (2006). Emotional Intelligence. Bantam. [Goodreads blurb]
Hattie, J. (2012). Visible learning for teachers: Maximizing impact on learning. Routledge. [Goodreads blurb]
Heron, J. (2001). Helping the client: A creative practical guide. Sage.
Wildavsky, B. (2012). The Great Brain Race: How global universities are reshaping the world. Princeton University Press. [Chapter 1]
Harding, L. (2014). The Snowden Files: The inside story of the world’s most wanted man. Guardian Faber Publishing. [sample here]
Levett-Jones, T. (Ed.). (2018). Clinical reasoning: Learning to think like a nurse. Pearson Australia.
Elliott, C. (2010). White coat, black hat: adventures on the dark side of medicine. Beacon Press [GoodReads Review]
Rogers, E. M. (1995) Diffusion of innovations. (5th ed.) Simon and Schuster, New York, USA. [summary article]
Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. [Link to 4th edition]
Gladwell, M. (2008). Outliers: The Story of Success. Hachette UK. [sample here]
Peters, S. (2013). The Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management Program to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence, and Happiness. Tarcher. [Goodreads blurb]
Pallant, J. (2013). SPSS survival manual. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2007). Using multivariate statistics. Allyn & Bacon/Pearson Education.
Orwell, G. (1945). Animal Farm. New American Library.
Orwell, G. (1950). 1984. New American Library.
Isaacs, W. (2008). Dialogue: The art of thinking together. Crown Business. [GoodReads review]
Tezuka, O. (2008). Black Jack (Vol. 1: Translated). Vertical. [GoodReads review]
Tezuka, O. (2008). Black Jack (Vol. 2: Translated).
Bandura, A. (1977). Social learning theory. Englewood Cliffs, N. J.: Prentice-Hall.
Rowling, J. K. (2013-2015). Harry Potter Series (Vol. 1-7). Bloomsbury Publishing.
Ones to Read
- 2019: Mix it up and read some classics (Collins, Dickens, Stevenson) and the Harry Potter series.
- Herrman, J. (2015). Creative Thinking Strategies for the Nurse Educator (2nd ed.). Philadelphia: F. A. Davis Company.
- Sweller, J., Ayres, P., & Kalyuga, S. (2011). Cognitive Load Theory (Vol. 1, Explorations in the Learning Sciences, Instructional Systems and Performance Technologies). New York, NY: Springer New York.
- Van Wulfen, G. (2013). The Innovation Expedition: A visual toolkit to start innovation. Bis.
- Ankel, A. & Sherbino, J. (2018). Adaptive Leadership For The New MedED: The one hour read.
- ALiEM. (2018). Education Theory Made Practical (Volume 2): An ALiEM Faculty Incubator eBook Project.
- St. Pierre, M., Hofinger, Gesine, & Simon, Robert. (2016). Crisis management in acute care settings : Human factors and team psychology in a high-stakes environment (3rd ed. 2016.. ed.).
- Duggan, L. V. (2018). Optimizing Crisis Resource Management to Improve Patient Safety and Team Performance-A handbook for acute care health professionals. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d’anesthésie, 65(1), 139-140.
- Delany, C., & Molloy, Elizabeth. (2018). Learning and teaching in clinical contexts : A practical guide.