There are many other ways of encouraging appropriate learning activities that remove passive learning
Traditional: Lecture & tutorial model.
Alternatives to provide richer source of learning activities. include:
- interactive group work (think, pair and share. Set a problem or a question around a certain topic)
- peer teaching (to teach is to learn twice, reinforces learning)
- independent learning (motivation to set goals, monitor and evaluate own academic development)
- work-based learning (real life clinical experiences)
- problem based learning (pitch ideas and problem solving, case studies)
Biggs, J. (2003). Aligning teaching for constructing learning. Higher Education Academy, 1(4).