Free Open Access Nursing Education is a global collaboration utilising technology, social media and has the agility to discuss relevant healthcare topics in real time. The below summary is by theNursePath:
“The #FOANed hashtag also gives individuals the ability to produce, collate and share links to information that might be of interest to other nurses. Finally, #FOANed provides an opportunity for nurses who do have access to journals and articles locked away behind pay-walls to extract a bullet-point summary or take home message from the article (preferably along with a link to the abstract) and then share it with us all.”
Benefits of FOANed
- Up to date practice
- Critique evidence
- Digital citizen
- Global citizen
- Bite size
- Pick your level of engagement- consumer or contributor or mix it up
- Don’t become a “because we have always done it this way” nurse
- It’s free!
- Adult learning principles: work related, self directed, problem based, social learning.
- Become contributers and creators not just consumers of learning (straight to the top of the cognitive aspects of Bloom’s Taxonomy).
- Reflective practice.
- Improves nurses digital skills.
- Not everyone has access to resources to “the evidence”.
Resources about FOANed
- Game Changer by thenursepath
- #FOANed by Red Apple RN
- meta4RN blog
- #FOANed on Symplur: healthcare hashtag of the influencers and activity.
Social Media Sources
Remember, if you use a resource then next time you create something, you make it open access. If we all start doing this, then the resources and community all increase. To understand the copyright aspects take a look into creative commons of your country (Example: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License).
As part of the collaborative nature of social media don’t miss the opportunity to follow the Free Open Access Meducation (#FOAMed) movement.